Thursday, July 2, 2009

Whack, Bang, Wallop

As the title suggests, I had an accident this week, last Monday, which has meant my training has been non-existent this week. I had planned a nice comfortable 2 hr cycle and decided to drop out to my sisters to collect a wetsuit for a guy in the club, then head off up to Roundwood. I was eager to get out as I had lowered the tri-bars on the bike and wanted to see how it would feel. Would my lack of flexibility be an issue!!!!

About 10mins into the ride I was coming through Ashford village, no traffic on the road. I was in the tri position, doing approx 45km/hr. I noticed a man walking accross the road but it was fine he had plenty of time to cross. He stopped half way and turned around to talk to a woman on the other side. I was getting closer so came off the tri-bars and put my fingers around the breaks to be ready. My assumption was when he was going to cross, he would look up and down the road. No such luck, the gentleman turned to finish crossing the road and turned blind sided to the direction of the traffic and to me. It all happened so quick after that, I veered to the left, started to brake and shouted at him to 'watch out', he turned around, got the fright of his life and jumped to his right (my left), we were on a collision course, now way to avoid him now. We collided heavily, my head hit his (I was wearing my helmet), I fell to the left hit the ground very hard and the bike and the guy landed on top of me. Instant pain was registering in my mind!!!! I could hear a grown so gathered he was not unconscious but I was told later he was for a few seconds.

After the initial impact it took a few moments for people to gather around. I didn't move, I was on my left side, my elbow and hip were very sore. Luckily for us a nurse was out walking her dog and checked our pulse etc. I was aware that the guy was bleeding and so was I. We were advised not to move until the ambulances arrived and the garda. I think it took about 10 minutes. I was checked over by the medic and put onto one of those trollys with a neck brace and had my head strapped to stop it moving. It was all precautionary. The guy walked into his ambulance. I was happy to hear that, not too badly injured then!

My Injuries, left elbow and ass!!!

I was taken to Loughlinstown, where they check for neck and spine injuries. I had none. Then I was left waiting for about 90 mins so when Paul arrived I discharged myself and went to the VHI clinic in Ballally. I was seen there within a few minutes, had 2 x-rays, where I found out my elbow was not broken, great relief. I felt week after that and wanted to throw up I had to lie down to get the blood back to my head. I had an injection to numb my butt and elbow prior to the doctor cleaning the wounds, boy did it still hurt. On the way out I got weak again and had to lie down for another half hour. My head was checked and I had a head injury. The doctor told me to go to St. Vincent's to be monitored for 24 hrs. Off we went, another hospital, saw the nurse and then spent another 2 hours on a trolly. So after a lot of hanging around I discharged myself again and went home. It was one long evening..... its been 3 days and I'm still sore, each day has a different pain. Today my hip is really sore, the bone is badly bruised. I hope to get back training this weekend as I have a half IM in 4 weeks, Wishful thinking me thinks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment